Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Beat the Heat

Here is the best tip for how to beat the heat in Utah: take a hike!


Seriously. At 4 o'clock in the evening a group of us met at Stewart Falls for a hike. At that time of day, you'd think it would be blazing, but the hike was very shady and cool. The hardest part of the hike was running to catch up with my husband's long legs!






At the Falls, I tried to soak my feet in the river and that's when I realized how to cool off. I was only able to literally stick my toes in the water to test how freezing mountain water is.








Tim is naturally very curious, so he climbed to the top of the lower falls to see what we couldn't. We all thought it would be a pool between the falls.






And, since Tim found out what was up there, I wanted to know, too. But, being the social girl that I am, I couldn't go alone. So, I brought Alicia with me! We took some great pictures (left) before hanging on for dear life (right)!



Hiliarous mishaps of the hike:

  • my pocket ripped and I thought it was my pants getting hole in my backside--could have been a lot worse than it really was
  • our car overheated because we had four people in it, the A/C on full-blast and going uphill. Luckily when we found out it was overheating, we were on our way downhill and could roll down the windows, turn the heat on, and coast down the mountain to coolness
  • while one of the guys was climbing down from the same adventure Tim was on, the camera bag that was fastened to his belt fell down the falls, bounced on a rock, and landed in the pool below the waterfall. It was like slow motion watching it fall and realizing where it had just fallen before we all ran to rescue it
  • This isn't a mishap, but it sure is funny. From the lookout at the falls before going down to the stream, we saw orange stuff on the ground on the others side of the stream. We were all making guesses about what it was, and Tim guessed Doritos. He was right!
  • One of the girls kept tripping, which is usually what I do.

No comments: