Friday, October 16, 2009

Diagnosis

Three weeks ago during the week of parent-teacher conferences, I got sick. Cough, sniffles, sour throat, fuzzy head. You know, the works. I got "better" a few days later but never got rid of the cough.

Last weekend I was experiencing some major coughing and eventually chest pain. I woke up in the middle of the night with my left arm tingly and numb. Great, I thought. I'm having a heart attack. Well, better go back to sleep! In the morning I went to Urgent Care worried and nervous. I was diagnosed as being 'full of crap', and because of my size, caused my muscles in between my ribs to inflame. Basically, I beat myself up from the inside out.

I was told to take ibuprofen for the pain. Well, being allergic to it, I asked the doctor for another pain medication. He was still persistent that I try to take some type of medicine with ibuprofen in it. I was adamant that I didn't want to return to Urgent Care for a different ailment.

So, one week later, I still have a cough, pain in my side, and plans to "take it easy." We'll see how taking it easy goes. I've never been very good at that....

3 comments:

Cathi said...

I'm going through exactly the same thing! I got sick with a nasty cold and then when most of the symptoms were gone this dumb cough came on and won't go away. It happened two years ago too and when I finally went to the Student Health Center they gave me some steriods and something else and said that for some reason my lungs hadn't gotten the message to stop secreting mucous and as a result, I kept coughing. Needless to say, I coughed worse on the meds for the first few days, but after a week, I was cured. I'm stuck with trying to see a new doctor out here so I'm trying to hack it until Oct 28, but my ribs are killing me from all of the coughing! Good luck though! Maybe try some Aleve (naproxen) for the pain? Hope things are going well. I check on you every once in a while. If you end up in DC to see Serb while she's here, let me know.

Baird Family said...

Do you have pneumonia or bronchitis? I think you need to find a regular doctor to go to. Hope you feel better soon sis! Love you!

sarefamily said...

feel better soon!!!