Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reading List

Over the last two weeks, I've read the Twilight Series....twice. I read them through rather quickly the first time. I couldn't stand the suspense! Then, after talking to my co-workers, there were some little details that I didn't pick up on, so I read them again, but only slightly slower.

I know there is a lot of debate/controversy about the books, but I must say I enjoyed them. It was the first time in a really long time that I could actually read a book for fun and not be too worried about neglecting my studies.

The first time I read the books, they hit a little too close to home in my relationship history. Let me explain:

Book 1: The Love Story--

This book describes how the two main characters, Edward and Bella, meet, fall in love, and spend every waking moment together. Or, in Edward's case, all his time.
The similarities between me and Tim are there. Staying out until the wee hours of the morning as if either of us didn't need sleep. It was a fun time of life. Full of excitement and insanity!

Book 2: The Absence--


In this book, Edward leaves. Bella is devastated and uses her best friend, Jake to fill in the gap. Edward comes back and she drops Jake. (I'm trying to leave it as vague as possible for those who have not yet read the books.)
While Tim was on his mission, I was left to date as I pleased. I got tired of the dating bit and went on a sabbatical. Bad idea. I wouldn't let myself date or flirt for a whole month. I wanted to die. I was so depressed. That was when I became good friends with Steve. After all, a sabbatical did not have any limits on friends. When the sabbatical was over, my friendship with Steve became more than a friendship. Then Tim comes back and I drop Steve. (That sounds a lot harsher than it was intended, but I'm just keeping the same phrases. Sorry.)

Book 3: The Decision--


I really enjoyed this book...until the end. I don't like not having a happy ending for everyone. This is where I felt the crappiest about reading these books. I'm sure I would have been happy to marry Steve had I not known how amazing and wonderful (and different) Tim is. It's hard knowing that I hurt someone I cared about to make myself happy. I'm happy and don't regret my decision to marry my wonderful Timothy, but it makes me sad to think that I caused so much hurt to someone else.

Book 4: The Wedding--


I am incredibly excited to see what happens in the last book of the series. I'm torn on the vampire issue and the two guys, probably because of the descriptions above and how frighteningly similar these books are to my life in a non-mythical creature sort of way.

Conclusion:
Overall, I really enjoyed the books. I'm not a literary critic and don't have a lot to say about the writing style. These books held my interest and helped me pass the time while Tim plays his computer games. I didn't realize how young the category Young Adult covers, but I wouldn't recommend this for anyone younger than a senior in high school, if even that young.

So, friends, there you have it. The latest reason I have not been blogging much lately. I have a lot of post ideas to share and pictures to prove it, and am excited to share them. If you've read the books, let me know what you think, if you want to borrow any, let me know.

4 comments:

Breanne said...

I enjoyed your commentary, and it's eerie how much your life is like the series. I haven't read the third book yet, read the other two last summer, but I totally agree about the age limit on them.

Kendra said...

I LOVE TWILIGHT SERIES!!!! I couldn't get enough of them this last semester, so I read them really fast so that I could study again. Now I am reading them again, and I just love it!

Stephanie said...

so, I just heard about these books in the last month or so, so I bought the first one today and have plans to do some serious reading and non-studying until it's read!

Stephanie said...

Well, apparently on June 27th I said that I had just bought the first one. On July 6th (just over a week later) I have now finished all three. :-) I love these books! I have a feeling there will be a happy ending for everyone..how could there not be! Here's my prediction, hopefully someone that hasn't read them won't have too much given away. Jacob imprints. That's all I need to say.