On a more spiritual note, the Sunday that Steph and I were in Vegas was Easter and General Conference. We didn't go to conference on Saturday but wanted to go to the Sunday morning session. We woke up early, got ready, looked up a couple different addresses and were on our way. Thanks to Steph's GPS, we were able to find all of the chapels. The only problem was that no one--not one single person or car--was at any of the 3 buildings we drove to! We finally decided to find the temple and call that church when we saw a church behind the temple. No one was there either!!! We took some pictures at the temple, went to lunch at Cafe Rio (again) and then visited my aunt and uncle and their kiddos that live in Vegas. We were dressed in skirts and it took forever for them to open the door because they thought we were Jehovah's witnesses! It was hilarious! When we got back to our room after gallivanting around all morning, Steph turned on the TV, flipped a few channels, and lo and behold, general conference was on TV this whole time!! We both thought that there was no way conference would be on TV...in Vegas...in our hotel. Boy were we wrong. We were able to catch the last couple of minutes of one of the talks. Now that I received the conference issue of the Ensign, I've been catching up on some of the talks. We missed out on some great talks! I'm glad that I can get caught up now.
We used Sunday as a day to see a lot of the free attractions. We went to the Bellagio to see their conservatory. Wow! It was stunning! There were a lot of people there in this tiny space but the flowers and sculptures were amazing! It was the perfectly whimsical for springtime/Easter.
After seeing the gardens inside, we wandered outside to watch the fountains. It was really windy, but so beautiful and peaceful. We even took some Ocean's 11-style photos.
We also saw the Fall of Atlantis at Caesar's Palace. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was really hard to hear because of the location and the number of people. I also thought there would be real actors, but instead they were plastic robotic people. It did have fire, though! After the show, I was getting cranky since it had been awhile since I'd last eaten so I succumbed to buying a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory that was in the wing with the Fall of the Atlantis. Boy, was that a little slice of heaven!
Steph and I had dinner at Buca di Beppo. I'd heard good things about it from Laura and Brian so we decided to try it out. We got bread and two "lunch" meals and could have had enough food for three more meals. The only problem was our hotel didn't have a fridge or microwave. Lame. We tried to find a bum to give it to since we were just going to throw it out but couldn't find one. We did see someone get pulled over for jaywalking.
To finish our trip to Vegas, we stopped at Historic Fremont Street, home of the original Vegas Strip. The lights show was really cool! We also bought our souvenirs here since they were dirt cheap. Speaking of souvenirs, I need some ideas for what to collect from vacations. Tim collects keychains but there are only some many keychains you can carry at one time without weighing a ton! There are magnets, shot glasses, postcards, spoons, picture frames, the list goes on and on. I want something to be used or seen frequently, not just on display collecting dust. Any ideas?
The next morning Steph and I departed. We walked around a bit and bought some after Easter chocolate from Ghiradelli. Mmmmmm. *drool* It was so good! We stopped by the Flamingo's bird area and saw the flamingos, ducks and some really big fish! We packed our bags in our cars and said goodbye. It was sad! I hadn't seen in her 8 months and who knows when I'll see her again! We had a great time, though! We'll definitely have to do it again!
1 comment:
I read that Kate Bailey collects key chains, but uses them as Christmas tree ornaments, so each Christmas they are reminded of all of their trips.
Post a Comment