Tuesday, May 4, 2010

FCCLA Closing Banquet

At the FCCLA closing banquet, I got really teary-eyed at the end where I was thanking the officers for all of the hard work they did and couldn't continue since I was getting more and more teary-eyed. Since I didn't want to bawl like a baby in front of everyone (I prefer to do that in private), I just gave my officers their gifts and sat down. Now that I am at home with plenty of tissues on hand, this is what I would have liked to have said:

Since Tim (or should I say 'Papa') and I don't have any kids of our own, I feel like my officers are as close as it gets sometimes. I love it when they call me 'Mama'.

This year has been such a blast getting to know these crazy girls. I especially loved getting to know them at Fall Leadership when they came to my room green-faced with facials just to say hello. And visiting with them while they were in the hot tub after I finished a boring meeting. Eating at Olive Garden while we stuffed ourselves to the max and still kept hiding breadsticks under the table just to get more. Miraculously (or should I say randomly) finding sugar packets in your pockets. Letting them use my camera to take pictures of a painted horse sculpture and then discovering there was more weirdness on it than I could have ever guessed!

At our summer meeting, Megan C. jumping on Brindy while she was on the phone laying on a kid slide in the display case.

The empathy belly. Jessica and Megan C. wearing it at the bring-a-buddy luncheon. Keeping it from falling against the glass in the display case for "Where's Waldo?".

Buying way too much apple juice for our tailgate party! Every activity after that, we used the apple juice. Ali drank one whole gallon... on her own... at one activity.

Saying the darnedest things: "We're family oriented here!"

Squealing with them at a private screening of New Moon.

When my officers met 'Papa' for the first time, it was when we went roller skating. On the bus, Megan C. 'fessed up to "accidentally Facebook stalking us". After that adventure on the bus, Papa was glad he wasn't the advisor. I guess it takes the right kind of person to enjoy a group of giggling girls!

Seeing them arrive at Sweethearts looking beautiful with their handsome dates and taking their pictures when they walked in the door. Then doing the same thing when they walked off the stage at state with their medals. (Anyone else notice how most of these memories include a camera?!?)

Brindy ordering root beer at Chili's because it came in a bottle and said 'beer' on it.

Rachael kissing a boy at State.

Getting a call on my phone in my hotel room after hearing jumping and banging upstairs to see the fort made by Devin, Brindy, Megan C., Ali and Stephanie.

Using the buddy system at State.

Popping in the designer sewing class to update Megan H and Brindy and to see their works in progress. Having them come in to show my their (mostly) finished quilts. Watching the sewing fashion show.

Amanda coming back from some exotic trip and being darker than dark.

Soaking each other at Boondocks.

I guess my favorite part of being an advisor is seeing these shy strangers become friends with each other and with me.

Overall, we've had fun this year. After the banquet and hugs and tears were shared, we went outside said a little chant and we each released a balloon. We laughed, cried and hugged some more as the balloons floated away, two of which had intertwined ribbons. As we walked to our separate cars, two women came out of the restaurant and asked what FCCLA stood for. In unison my girls said "Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America." One of the women said that they said it like a family. And that's what it feels like. Our own little Alta FCCLA family.

I will miss you girls as you have new adventures!

Change is good, but it's also hard.

I wish you all the best!

Love,
Mama


The love the expressions in this picture, especially everyone on the right!

4 comments:

MandiScandal said...

I must have missed the part where you taught at ALTA. So close. Thanks for sharing these stories...sounds like a lot of fun!

Amanda Schroeder said...

Oh mama!! Thank you so much for making me shed some more tears! (: I will miss you guys so much, and can't believe how fast this year flew by! I'm way sad, not excited. Though I should be! Thanks for being the best 2nd mom in the world! I will miss you, and keep in touch through your blog! If you don't mind of course!
♥ always!!
manda!

Michelle Stott said...

Maria,
thanks for making me cry. I loved hearing your year was but sad that these girls didn't get to be part of mine this year. What a wonderful group you had and how much they love and adore you. That post made me want to come back to Alta.

Sarah said...

Oh Marashaj!!! I got a little nostalgic reading this! I miss you!!!