Saturday, July 10, 2010

Teacher Thought Spot

UEN offers a class about WebQuests that I want to take but haven't had the time to take the class or been able to register for the class. We are talking about them in my Instructional Methods class and I had to find one that I could use in my class. I couldn't think of something for my interior design class (remember, my mind is still on vacation) so I asked some pros about projects they have their students research then did a Google search for some already made WebQuests and found 3 I like for different reasons. I love sharing! I would so lost without it!

WebQuest #1: Healthy Pregnancy
I really liked how this WQ is about a very broad concept but then separates the WQ into different groups/topics to make the searches more specific and not as overwhelming for students (or me!) to select a topic that relates. There are a few links for each section to focus the research. Each student (not group) is also required to write a summary of their group's presentation so each student is accountable for learning and doing and not just piggy-backing on someone else's work. The instructions aren't as clear as the other WQ, though.


WebQuest #2: How do babies grow in the womb?
The set-up of this WQ makes me happy! I like how only a brief explanation is on each section. There are 5 steps listed for the students with instructions and links for each step. It also lists her contact information so I can write her a nice thank you note for the work she has done and saved me from doing. I also like her rubric and assessments (PP and brochure).


WebQuest #3: Complications of Pregnancy
This WQ differentiates by giving students the option of choosing a presentation method: PP, transparency, or poster. This WQ is designed for college students, so I know I need to modify it for my high school kids, but I wanted to include it here just so I have it referenced for the future. I also can't find the links to the research....weird.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I love that you found several WebQuests that can help you in your teaching. I took some time looking around that second one, and wow! THANKS for sharing!