Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Dream Chair

Growing up, my family had "un-assigned seats". Meaning, there is an unspoken rule that someone sits in a certain chair. My dad had his recliner in the family room, my parents had their wing back chairs in the living room, Laura had her chair on the end of the kitchen table that everyone tried to kick her out of. Me? I was usually stuck in the middle. You know, middle child, middle chair.

Well, this may sound crazy, but I have a dream chair. Not a couch. Not a loveseat. A chair. But not just any chair. The Barcelona Chair designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1929. As soon as I saw this chair in one of my college interior design classes, I was hooked. I love it! Every time I see it, I have to point it out. I saw it in Vegas over spring break just hanging out in a store in the outlet mall. The Barcelona Chair isn't just a run-of-the-mill chair. It is my dream chair. (Emphasis on dream, since it retails from $2,000-$4,500.) While I was in Chicago, I saw this chair (and ottoman and couch) everywhere! I saw it in a sitting area in the middle of a mall, in hotel lobbies, it was even in a McDonald's for crying out loud! Of course, I had to take pictures of it wherever I saw it. That's the curse of the dream chair. The one in McDonald's was taken on my phone and I have yet to get it off of there. Here are some of the shots.

I'm in heaven! Search google images for the chair and check out the back. I love the colors it comes in.