Monday, August 23, 2010

In over my head

I started teaching today. I feel a little {read: totally} overwhelmed. Maybe it's just because it is the first day, but I'm stressed. I have a "To Do" list a page long and no aides yet. I think I can predict a nervous breakdown this semester. Not the mention the fact that I have part of the chorus of the Fray's "Over my Head" going through my brain:

Everyone knows I'm in
Over my head
Over my head

I am really excited for my two interior design classes. I'm glad I've successfully taught those classes before. The two classes I am most nervous about are my financial literacy classes (no surprise there!). I printed a roll right before class started and had 37 students. By the end of the day, I was up to 39. My room has tables and chairs, not desks, and comfortably holds 33 students. I went to talk to the counselor's office about capping the enrollment, and they said that my class is actually one of the smaller classes. Some teachers had 41+ kids. Are you serious?!? I guess I can't really complain. After all, I guess it could be worse. Oh, wait, I have a funny story: As the students are getting to know each other using M&Ms and questions on the board coordinating with the colors of M&Ms, one of the questions is "What do you want to learn in this class?" As I am having the students share their answers, I had one brave students ask "What IS this class?" Then the rest of the class echoed his question. They had no idea what this class was even about! Oh, boy. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

The other financial lit class that I have is tomorrow and is for students with special needs and is a very small class in comparison--only 15 students. Thankfully I have three student aides who are going to help me.

I've only had half of my classes today. I have the other half tomorrow. I'm so grateful Summer is helping me with Child Development. I am really excited for that class and will learn a lot to prepare me for being a parent.

I really do enjoy my job and the the students, I just need to get a grip on things. I think I just need a week to get myself better situated. As I'm in this overwhelmed and stressed state of mind, I am trying to think of the positives:

A great department who is willing to share and be supportive

Student aides - they do so much for me! I have another page-long list for them to do!

A blog to let out my concerns and frustrations

Freezer meals that I made a couple of weeks ago to tide us over when I've had a long day

Being able to use what I've already learned in my grad program (my new class starts on Wednesday)

Some awesome road trips/vacations coming up

New clothes/shoes for school

How excited my students get when they learn they can call me Mama J

A student came in with a friend this morning to find my classroom, and her friend knew me from when I was in the room for the UBSCT test that I proctored for a couple of days. I read the instructions for five minutes then left them to take the test but she told me how and how organized I was. It made me so happy! I spend so much time organizing my room it's nice when someone notices and appreciates it.

Ahhh, now that I've gotten this out and focused on the positives, I feel much better.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ria, you will totally rock this year!! And just think, Thanksgiving is around the corner! Good luck...

Laura Chapman said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Just keep your head up and focus on the good. You'll do a great job!

Baird Family said...

Just want to answer this with another song:

Hey Little Girl
You're in the middle of the Ride

Oh now I can't remember the rest, but you get the idea. This song helped me through nursing school. Good luck- you'll do great!

Michelle Stott said...

wow reading this made me feel better. My classes are huge. My foods classes have about 40 and I can only sit 33. My Interior Design class have 35+ students. That is my sewing room so I can only fit like 30. it is crazy. I hope we survive the year. Good luck and just know you aren't the only one that feels the way you do.

Sarah said...

Marashaj, you rock at organizing and getting things done! You're basically the most efficient person I know.

And yes, the vacations will help! Less than a week until our road trip!!!