This past week at school, my interior design classes tie dyed during our textile unit. While I was preparing the dye, I turned and accidentally bumped the paper with the instructions on mixing the dye. It woudln't have been a big deal, except the dye powder was on the paper. The dye then fell on the floor, but not before getting me (and the floor) covered in yellow powder. Thankfully I was wearing black pants and that my prep period was next, but I had yellow dye all down the left side of my pants. The kicker was that I couldn't get it wet or else it would activate the dye. My students heard something fall and turned around to see what their crazy teacher was doing in the back of the room. Imagine turning around and seeing your teacher covered in yellow. It was all over my pants and my boots. I then hopped to the trash can a few feet away and tried to shake the dye off, then rub it off with my ungloved hands since my gloves were wet. The bell to get out of class was in a few minutes, so I just kept making the dye until I could get cleaned up better. After they all left, I went to the bathroom in my room and stuck my whole foot and pant cuff in the sink to get the dye off. Most of it came off. I just need to do a little detail work on my boots. I then had to ask the custodians to come vacuum my floor since I couldn't get the dye wet, but you can see the outline of my boot in the dye. I almost bought a new outfit since I had to run some errands anyway, but didn't want to take the time to try anything on. Also, from not using any gloves to clean myself off, my hands looked like I belonged on The Simpsons while my forearms look they were badly bruised from an IV. Yellow is so NOT my color!
The whole thing was hilarious! I wanted to laugh hysterically but I had a million things to do that day, so I just kept doing them. I don't think my students quite knew how to react since I wasn't laughing and I wasn't mad either.
And that, friends, is why everyone wore aprons to tie dye!
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hehehehehe. Murphy's Law, babe. Murphy's Law.
Post a Comment