Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween

Last Sunday on our way to dinner at my sister's house with the family, Tim came up with the idea for me to be a candy corn for our ward Halloween party on Friday. We tried to come up with a coordinating idea for him, but decided he should be a candy corn, too! I went to Wal-Mart to find a yellow shirt for him to wear with his awesome orange pants, but everything was either mustard or caused temporary eye damage. Since there was an FCCLA tie-dye party on Thursday at school, I just bought a 2-pack of t-shirts to dye. The first has a yellow/orange candy corn in the middle. I sewed a loose outline of the candy corn to define it better but then ripped it out since it was temporary and Tim likes to pick strings/hair off. The other tie-dye shirt was just for fun. I tried a new method of tying--pleating. Tim likes it, so I consider it a success, even though you can't see the pleats on the light blue panel.



With the candy corn inspiration came a project I wasn't quite ready for. I made my own skirt, without a pattern. I went shopping on Monday for fabric and washed it that night, then spent every evening up until the ward party working on that skirt. I didn't even have time to sew a proper hem but since two of the three panels for the last layer of the skirt were selvage ends, I didn't worry about it too much. After gathering until the cows came home, I thought I wouldn't like the skirt at all and would only pull it out to dust it off for Halloweens in the future. However, after putting it on, it was the most comfortable skirt in the whole wide world. I'm sold!!! I'm even thinking about making another skirt! I think I'm crazy!

Tim's hair is in a faux-hawk that is sprayed white to resemble the top of a candy corn. It was hard to see but still festive.

So, when my sanity returns, I am going to start making Christmas presents. I bought some adorable fabric during the summer with high hopes of making a dress for Tim's niece in Hawaii, but now have better plans for twirly skirts. Because I am so excited and the pattern is super easy, I am going to post the link. What's funny is I have a student this year with a grown-up version of this dress. It is adorable!!

3 comments:

Michelle Stott said...

The skirt turned out really cute. You guys make cute candy corns. I hope you had fun at your party.

Breanne said...

I love that shirt! And good job on the skirt. You guys look cute! What a good idea.

Sarah said...

LOVE IT!