Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teacher Thought Spot

Attention blog readers: this post and other Teacher Thought Spot posts are responses to a prompt for my graduate program. They may not make sense to you, but they will (I hope) to Dr. Peterson. Continue at your own confusion.

Me and my husband, Timothy

I teach high school in Sandy. I have taught Interior Design and Financial Literacy the last two years. This next year I will also teach Child Development for the first time...yikes!

Overall, I enjoy teaching. There are challenges and struggles, just like any other job. What I have noticed over the last two years is that there is never a dull moment! I come home and tell my husband about 4 different "funny stories of the day."

I am also an advisor for a club, FCCLA. There are 8 officers that run the club. I just supervise with another advisor. This past year we had 270 members. It definitely keeps me busy!

As a teacher, I give my students the knowledge they need to understand the concept and then give them space to create. My students do a lot of hands-on projects in class where I am able to help answer their questions. I rarely assign specific assignments as homework but I have many who work on assignments at home because they do not manage their time wisely in class.

I love teaching FACS. It is so applicable to students' lives now and in the future. I especially love interior design. It allows students a creative outlet that they may not get in another class. It also gives me a chance to get to know them better from what they create.

4 comments:

Amanda Schroeder said...

You better not think I'm a creep for looking at your blog (: I haven't ever heard anything bad said about your teaching--it's all GREAT. Everyone loves you! You're the greatest teacher, and even better adviser. I LOVE You and will miss you!!

Michelle Stott said...

That post totally made sense to me. Maybe because I am a teacher. I hope the program is going well. Good luck and try to enjoy a little bit of the summer. Hope to see you at conference.

Teacherheart said...

Wow... look at you! Your students beat me to your blog! Sounds like your students are lucky, and that they KNOW they are!

Wendy Joy said...

I love your blog! The flower pillow was adorable. I have an older home which the girls and I love decorating. I like the shabby chic 'look'. McKenna is really into vintage things. I know what else we will be talking about when we aren't talking about teaching!

I also wanted to let you know that I collaborate with the Junior High Child Development teacher every year. Her students come and work in my classroom with my students. I read that you are teaching Child Development next year. If you're interested in knowing more about her program, let me know and we can talk.