Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Teacher Thought Spot

Differentiation is a new concept for me. When I was reading one of the articles about differentiation, there was an example of a teacher using different methods of instruction. As I was reading, I thought, 'Hey, I do that! That's differentiation? I didn't know I was so good!' As I read the analysis of that example, I was wrong. Turns out that isn't really differentiation. As of now, I'm not 100% sure how to differentiate my classes. One of the hallmarks of differentiation includes "refraining from taking the easy way and path of least resistance. If this is important enough to teach in the classroom, it's important enough to do well..." I absolutely LOVE this. I heard or read a quote that I want to paint on my wall in my classroom: Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

As an undergrad, I was required to take a multicultural education class. The only thing I took out of that class was "know who you teach". It takes time to get to know my students and to specifically plan instruction for their needs. Our textbook discusses how some teachers have a pin that says "20 years of service" that should really read "1 year of service 20 times". I can see how differentiation requires continuous change and flexibility.

I really like some of the things we've learned in class about differentiation. I've already made some exit tickets and some "what do you want to learn about" questionnaires for my students.

I think it's important to have high expectation for all students, regardless of their current level. All students can learn and improve in their own way. I also liked the idea of giving students choices to allow them the most growth, but the pessimist/realist/lazy bum side of me knows that if I am given a choice, I would choose the past of least resistance. I have also experienced my students doing the same thing. Maybe I need to raise my expectations of myself and my students.

I still have a lot to learn about what differentiation. I understand why it is important, but it would be nice to know more about how.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

We ALL (including ME) still have a lot to learn about differentiation. But I can assure you that you are definitely down the path... one of the leaders! It's almost as important to know what is NOT differentiating than to know what IS... well, maybe at LEAST as important! And you are already proactive... having developed exit tickets and "get to know you" tools. Good for YOU!