Thursday, June 17, 2010

Teacher Thought Spot

There are six steps to direct instruction:
  1. Review previously learned material.
  2. State objectives for the lesson.
  3. Present new material.
  4. Guide practice, assess performance, and provide corrective feedback.
  5. Assign independent practice, assess performance, and provide corrective feedback.
  6. Review periodically, offering corrective feedback if necessary.
After planning a mini-lesson using this model and applying it to my current lesson plans, I realized I am not so good at steps 1 and 6. I'm not sure why I do this, but even better, I had already decided how to change Step 1. My first year of teaching, I used popsicle sticks with my students' names on them. I would draw them out and call on that student to answer a question. It was such a good plan. I had a baggie full of popsicle sticks for each class. Then students transferred in and out and it was a mess. It only lasted a few weeks. The new plan is to write numbers on them and have only one set for each class. The numbers will correspond to my roll sheet. I will pick 5 names for each class at the beginning of the day and write them on the board. That way, they know they will be called on as soon as they walk into the class and if they haven't done the assignment by then, they can get help from a friend before being called on in front of the class. Yeah!

The most difficult or "least" natural step for me is step 2. I don't always tell my students what the plan of the day is. It's pretty basic: starter, PowerPoint, assignment. However, my students don't know that until they have been in the class for a couple of weeks. I really like how Dr. Sowder puts the agenda for the class on a slide and has it on the board at the first of the class so that we can know what to expect from class that day.

If the feedback in steps 4-6 isn't done, then students will never know that what they are doing is wrong. It's so hard to do something, thinking it's right, then have to go and change how you were doing it. By nipping wrong action/learning in the bud, a lot of grief and confusion can be prevented!

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Good points... thorough thinking about the model. I guess that's my problem -- I've never been very thorough in my teaching methods. Direct instruction reminds me to be better about that. I've not watched Dr. Sowder teach, but my thoughts are that she is very thorough and a good example.