skip to main |
skip to sidebar
A Dying Breed
I just spent the last day and a half at a conference in Midway for UAFCS at the Homestead Resort in Midway. It was great to meet with other students and teachers all over Utah in the Family and Consumer Science (FACS) discipline. The food was good and definitely not in short supply! (I love being a FACS major!) It's a sad thing to know that the career I am choosing is dying in most of the colleges in Utah. SUU and USU are both considering to discontinue the FACS program at their schools. It really makes me sad that things are becoming so high-tech and lazy that we don't need to know how to do things for ourselves. Some of the reasons why I am glad to be a FACS educator include:- knowing how to make food from scratch
- being able to sew
- purchase clothing wisely based on quality of construction and fabric
- understand nutrition more in-depth than I've ever dreamed of knowing!
- relate history of the world to styles of architecture, furniture, and clothing
- learn how to teach with interest and enthusiasm to pass on my excitement of FACS to my students!
No comments:
Post a Comment