Monday, January 28, 2008

i KNOW you did not just call me THAT!

During first period today, I was working on lesson plans on the computer, enjoying my last day of free time. While sitting there, a female student in the kitchen closest to the desk needed to get my attention and says, "Hey, girl. Do we need two of these?" I stopped typing, turned and looked her in the eye and said, "My name is Ms. Jones, and yes, you do." I didn't really know how to take that. Flattered that I was still considered young or annoyed that she didn't know I was going to be her teacher starting the next class period for the next month. It was quite the shock to be called "hey, girl". When I start teaching her class on Wednesday, I am going to start out introducing myself--again--and explain that Miss or Ma'am (and only those) are perfectly acceptable alternatives to Ms. Jones.

Now, don't get me wrong, here. I'm not one of those mightier-than-thou teachers who thinks that what I says goes because I'm the teacher. I try to give reasons for why I do things and allow the students to make choices when both choices are acceptable, as in the previous post. I would just like to think that I am not easily mistaken for a junior high student. Those days are so far behind me that I don't want to ever be mistaken as the same person I was then!

No comments: