So, this week, I am in charge of one class. I assigned the students to their seats and sat one very talkative student right in front close to me. The next day of class, he finds out where he is sitting and says, "Thanks, Ms. Jones, for the seat." "Why, you're welcome." Throughout the class, it was getting pretty rowdy, so I devised a plan of yellow and red cards and informed the class. If I put a yellow card in front of you, it is a warning. You have one more chance before you are dismissed and not allowed to cook. Now for 9th graders, this is a big dilemma. Why be in a foods class if you can't cook, ya know?! So this one student in particular wanted to know the limits and asks, "What do you have to do to get a red card?"
"It depends on my mood that day."
"Ah, come on, Ms. Jones. You gotta give me something."
"Okay. If you are disruptive, disrespectful, or talk out of turn, you will get a red card."
"Ah, man!!! That's like everything I do!"
"Well, what can you do to not get a red card?"
"Not talk."
"There you go. You just found the solution! Now you'll never get a red card!"
THE NEXT DAY (aka today):
For some reason, the last period of the day it the rowdiest and toughest to control (I can't imagine why.....). The kid above could not stop talking. It probably didn't help that he had his back to the whole time. There are some other students at another table that just jabber away. It drives me bonkers, especially when there are so many other students that are ready and willing to learn. As a solution, I am going to redo the seating chart and start kicking people out into the hallway to do bookwork and worksheet (can you say bor-ing). It's hard being a student teacher because students test my limits and I give in too easily. I've decided to kick the classroom management and discipline up a notch. Next class each kitchen will be making different snacks relating to a Superbowl party. BUT, that's only if we get through the lesson. For some students, that may not happen in the classroom, but this time I'll be prepared.
Note: This may sound mean, but it's really for the best. Four or five bad students really can ruin a class. And they really aren't bad, just hard to manage in their current location.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
what do you think the lord would do in this situation? do you think he would kick them out of class?
;-) hahaha. just being sarcastic! I hope things go better!
Post a Comment