Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Murphy's Law

So, today was just a disaster, as you can tell from the previous post. The peak of the chaos was at the end of the period. I was demonstrating in front of the whole class how to correctly measure ingredients by making chocolate chip cookies. I could hardly get any audience participation, but they were impressed I could crack an egg single handed. Points for that. Everything (recipe-wise) was going great. At least until I put the cookies in the oven!! They came out as flat as disks with chocolate chip peaks! It was awful. The kitchen-group whose oven I was using saw them and were so good about it. They were like, "it's okay, I'll still eat them." One of the boys even commented (in a nice way), "And you're our foods teacher?" The next batch wasn't as bad, but still flat. Those were gone as soon as they came out of the oven! My cooperating teacher consoled me by telling me that her first batch of cookies did the same thing. My message to all: Be wary of the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe! I honestly don't know what happened. We looked up the error in the "Cookie Bible" book and it said that the probable cause was the butter being too soft. The recipe called for softened butter, but when I took it out of the fridge, it was plenty soft already, so I didn't even nuke it. I even added a little bit more flour to the next batch, but no redemption. Tragic, but true. Baking really is a science.

1 comment:

Breanne said...

I'm e-mailing you the best ever never fail chocolate chip recipe. For real, before this recipe I always had flat disk-like cookies, but this one works!