Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Day in Salt Lake

Today I spent the day in Salt Lake exploring new venues.

First up was a trip to the ABC station to watch an airing of Good Things Utah. I've started watching this show a lot since school ended. Here are some of the shots from the show:

Nicea, Angie, Marti, Reagan, and look! A new host: ME!

Next up, I met Breanne and baby Tucker at Johnny Kolaches for a delicious lunch. They even have fruit kolaches. I brought some home for Tim. Again, YUM!

After luck, we went to George's Salvage to scrounge around and find materials for creative uses. Here are my finds:

These may look ugly now, but I have big plans for these babies to be bookends for some of my books at school! FYI, the background is the seat cover for the chair below.

These are plastic "wood" shutters that are a good color for what i want, they are just dirty. Right now the plan is to clean these bad boys up and hang them over the kitchen table with the crocheted Jones sign. At least, that's the plan.

This, I think, is a great find. I've always wanted to reupholster a chair, and this one is simple enough. I would also take this to school with me since we talk about furniture and this is a GREAT example of a Sheraton style (square back, reeded legs). First stop to a new look: fabric! My only dilemma is if I should keep it traditional or make it modern.

By the way, check out this paint website for a free quart of paint.



After getting dirty, we headed over to the Sweet's Factory for a free tour. (I got the idea from this post for free outings.) We weren't allowed to take any pictures inside, which is fortunate since we had to wear hair nets. The tour really triggers your sweet tooth! Which works out perfectly since they have a discount store right there at the end of the tour! Check out their virtual tour.


After going to Sweet's Breanne went home and I continued farther into downtown to tour the Governor's Mansion. Again, it was free, and, again, no pictures inside. It is exquisite, though! If you ever get a chance to go, you should.





I also went along S Temple to take photos of the architecture. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

Catholic Cathedral of the Madeline


First Presbyterian Church

I would have gotten a close-up of the front of this building, too, but some random guy decided to take his shirt off in front of the doors. In the photo above, he is not seen thanks to the tree. I really want to go inside and take pictures of the stained glass but I think it's weird to go into a church building of another faith and just start snapping photos.

1 comment:

Baird Family said...

It's not weird to go inside another church to take pictures- we did it when we went to Washington DC as a family- remember that huge cathedral? Can't wait to see your finished projects!