Today was just full of ups and downs. First period wasn't very cooperative during a game, so I told them that I don't have to spend my time thinking of games; worksheets are a-plenty around here! One student replied, "But you get paid for this."
"Heck, no, I don't!"
"Yes, you do."
"I"m a student teacher. The first part, being student. I am paying to teach."
"Well that's just dumb. Why?"
"So in a few months I can get a piece of paper that says thanks for your $20,000 and five years of your life. Go and teach!"
"TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS?!??!? You can buy a car with that! Why would you pay that much?"
"It's the value of an education."
*Can you guess this student was a boy from the car comment?
Second period was angelic. I loved giving the lesson to them and hear their stories about kitchen safety (or lack of, actually). It was great!
*sigh* Oh, third period. There are a few trouble-makers speckled throughout the class that are just enough to drive any sane person crazy. I sent one kid out into the hall which was a bad idea since it was lunchtime and students like to wander down to peek in the door. I had another student wash my dishes from the demo I did earlier. It's a challenge to try and reach all of the students and manage behavior for an optimal learning environment.
Also, this is the period with Salad. I was mistaken. His "full" name is Salad Lover. Oops. As I was wandering around the room, I noticed a piece of paper in the back of his binder that said "I heart Salad." So I guess he really is a salad lover. The name fits!
Fourth period was my time to relax and unwind since I only observe/work on lesson plans during this period. I love it!! Teaching three classes in a row with only a 30 minute lunch is more draining than I thought it would be.
Today I demonstrated how to make Peach Muffins with a Crumb Topping, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse and the Food Network. My teacher just loved them!! She's going to use them once I leave but change the name to Mini Peach Cobblers. It actually sounds a lot more appealing to the junior high-ers. The demos went well, and I even had one student come back after school and ask for the recipe! I loved it! It totally fed my pride.
So, there were ups and downs today, that's for sure. I just need to find something to relate to those trouble makers to help them learn...besides doing dishes and sitting in the hall talking to their friends.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment