Friday, February 1, 2008

I <3 Drama!

Call me crazy, but I love drama. Not my own of course! It's so fun to hear other people's drama. And, my poor husband gets to hear mine. Yesterday was a fun day. We were cooking--hip, hip, hooray (as the sign on the door says). However, we also had a spirit assembly that day, too, so time was short and worksheets were long. The 9th grade class was great, but the 8th graders just struggled. Not that I gave them tons of time, but it was just no-bake cookies. The first class finished in the knick of time, while the other class was a lot slower and had to cool them during the last period of the day and pick them up after school. Well, as junior high-ers go, their memories don't work so well, so only a few students came to pick up their cookies. So, after dropping off as many cookies to my fellow teachers that were still there at the end of the day, my husband was the gracious recipient of a plate bursting with junior high cookies. Don't worry, there is only one left now, less than 24 hours later, and not one pound gained on his little body.

Another source of drama comes from other teachers. As aforementioned (I love being able to use words people know!), the assembly scheduled for the day was to pump up the school with school spirit (Go Eagles!). One of the teachers is also the girls basketball coach and did some variation of a strip-tease, complete with ripping off his exercise pants to reveal shin-length white with red polka dot "underwear". It was really awkward to say the least. The principals weren't laughing, the students were dying of laughter and I didn't know what to think. Today at Professional Development, it was mentioned that there was only one phone call about it. Another teacher piped up and asked if it was a single mom asking for his phone number!!! Teachers are really funny without kids around!

Lastly, as fate would have it, I give myself the most drama. I like to worry about everything and do so in large proportions. Yesterday I was worrying that I gave too many worksheets which left the students without much time to cook, which I'm guilty on both accounts. I also was having drama trying to get the wireless to work, so it was just not a good combo. I was complaining to Tim about it and saying I wasn't a good teacher yesterday when our conversation was interrupted by a phone call from my student teaching supervisor calling to tell me how I did when she came to observe the other day. She was full of compliments and answered my questions. When I got off the phone, Tim just looked at me with this look of "See, I told you so." The sweetest part was while I was on the phone with Dell's technical support, I was given a glass of this sweet stuff:

For those who don't know, Tim and I use the word "lava" as much as the word "love". The inspiration came from a Laffy Taffy wrapper:
Q: What did one volcano say to the other?
A: I lava you!
So, that is the story behind lava juice. I hope it's not too much information on the love life of Tim and Maria, but it was too thoughtful not to share!

1 comment:

Laura Chapman said...

You have lots of stories and new posts often now that you're teaching and have "drama". I'm glad Tim is treating you well in your stressful times!!